This recipe calls for a whole chicken to poach. However, only a breast and leg with thigh are shredded for the soup. Feel free to shred more for your soup or reserve the remainder for another use. I like to get as many meals as I can with one effort, so the remainder of the chicken is reserved for chicken enchiladas.
|Sopa de Pollo (Chicken Soup)|
- 3 Qts of waters
- 2 medium sweet onions, cleaned and cut into chunks
- 1 bell pepper, cleaned and cut into chunks
- 7 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 4 1/2 Tbsp Chicken Organic Better Than Bouillon (or check your bouillon's directions to make 3 Qts.)
- 4 Tbsp Spanish or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (Roasted Garlic flavor, if available)
- 3 carrots, medium with green leafy tops, if possible. Cleaned and chopped into thin slices. Reserve about 1/3 cup loosely packed leafy green tops, chopped.
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 tsp Bijol (optional) http://bijol.com/history.php
- 1 whole chicken, (remove neck and giblets from cavity, wash, and pat dry with paper towels
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 Fideo package (or thin pasta strands)
1. Take a large pot and fill with 3 Qts of water.
2. Place onions, red bell peppers, and garlic into blender. Add a small amount of water to bottom of blender and puree. (You may need to work in batches if your blender is not very powerful.) Add the puree into the pot.3. Add Organic Better Than Bouillon into pot.
4. Add Olive Oil
5. Add juice of one lemon.
6. Add juice of one lime
7. Add tomato sauce
8. Add cut carrots
9. Add bay leaf
10. Add Bijol (optional)
11. Add chicken
12. Add reserved green leafy tops of carrots, chopped, but save a little for garnish
13. Add pepper, about 1/4 tsp or to taste
At this point, it should appear somewhat like
|Chicken soup while cooking|
14. Bring soup to a boil then reduce heat to medium or simmering temperature. Cover and let cook for about 30 minutes to 45 minutes. Lift the cover and stir occasionally. The chicken meat, when pulled from bone, should not be pink.
15. Once chicken is cooked through, reduce heat to low. Remove chicken onto platter and allow it to cool enough for handling, but not completely cold. The chicken will shred more easily while warm. Remove one chicken breast and 1 leg with thigh. Remove the skin from the chicken and discard. Take two forks and pull the chicken meat off the bone and shred. Or, you can use your hands to shred. (Reserve the remainder chicken meat for another use, such as enchiladas.)
17. Take about 1/4 of the Fideo package (my package was about 6 oz. and I only used about 1/4 of package) and break the coiled strands into smaller pieces. Add to the soup.
19. Remove Bay Leaf and salt soup to taste. I add about 2 tsp.
19. If not serving immediately, and you wish to remove excess fat, place pot into fridge and allow it to cool. Once cool, skim extra fat from top of soup. Reheat soup and serve. Garnish soup with a few pieces of the green leafy tops from carrots.
Serving suggestions: This can be served with Cuban bread or warm corn tortillas & lime wedge. It can be made in advance and/or frozened for future use.