Monday, March 26, 2012

Mango Salsa

Mango Salsa
Mango Salsa

I love mangoes! I love them anyway I can get them. I think every Cuban has a passion for this fruit embedded in their DNA. Years ago, I discovered how well it complimented fish. This salsa is simple to make and is packed with flavor. It's beautiful colors set off any dish and make it that much more appetizing. My favorite way to use this salsa is paired with salmon. As the warmer weather approaches, we love to grill Salmon outside. There is just something beautiful about grilling the salmon, hanging by our pool, and sipping fabulous mojitos my husband always spoils me with. I love this salsa so much, that I plan the salmon around it, rather than the other way around. If I don't have the mango salsa available, I'll wait to do the salmon. If there is any leftover, I use them to top off fish or pork tacos.

Tips: This salsa is not complicated. Give yourself some time to chop up the few ingredients. Also, the flavors meld much better if prepared the day prior to serving. The flavors really just come together making it that much better. Remove the salsa from the fridge about 30 minutes prior to serving. This will allow the extra virgin olive oil to relax. Lastly, if you have never chopped fresh jalapeƱos, wear food gloves. Or, be very careful removing its membrane and seeds. The heat is in the membrane and seeds. So simply use the knife to slice off the membrane and scrape seeds away. Dispose off in trash or food recycling container; the garbage disposal may irritate you as the fumes disperse.

So let's get started.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups pealed, chopped ripe mangoes (a great substitute are ripe, sweet peaches)
  • 1 medium to large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped fine
  • 1/4 cup green onions, sliced thin
  • 1 jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and chopped fine (remove membrane and seeds if you don't want the heat)
  • 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I like using a garlic infused EVO, but it is not necessary.)
  • 1/2 tsp lime zest...or more to taste
  • 1 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
  • 1 tbsp vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper



Method
Fold all the ingredients together in a non reactive bowl. I usually taste the salsa and then adjust the seasonings as needed.

Plating suggestions: Place a generous portion of salsa on top of the fish being served and have extra available at the table. Your guests will surely want a little more.

Buen Provecho!
Elsa







No comments:

Post a Comment